The Blue Lives Saving Horses and Helping Children program rescues horses from slaughter. The horses will then be rehabilitated and retrained for use in children’s equine therapy programs, our Abused Women’s Program or for adoption. Working with horses is an enjoyable and potent stress reliever. With this in mind, the program will focus on recruiting participants from the law enforcement community in an effort provide a healthy, enjoyable and productive method of relieving job related stress while saving horses and helping children.
Each training assistant will work with the same horse for the duration of the horse’s training. Training assistants must be in good health and display appropriate decision making, environmental awareness and communication skills The training sessions will focus on the following skills:
- Catch and halter a loose equine with minimal assistance.
- Correctly and independently lead/stop/turn an equine using a lead rope
- Groom an equine safely and independently;
- Saddle and bridle an equine safely with minimal assistance
- Identify signs of relaxation and agitation.
- Become familiar with equine nonverbal communication and its application
- Identify parts of the horse and identify sensitive areas on a horse
- Identify different types of tack, their parts and usages.
- Clean and store tack
- Stop the equine correctly and independently; motivate the equine forward with impulsion
- Maintaining control at the walk, trot, and canter (as horse is able) and halt.
- Understand the direct reign.
- Demonstrating the balanced seat and maintaining a forward position
- Steering the horse accurately through obstacles
- Demonstrating the sitting and posting trot and identifying the correct diagonal
- Demonstrating competency in tacking up
- Beginning to understand and execute basic schooling figures (circles, figure-8, serpentines) at various gaits.
- Proper dismount
Program costs are free to accepted applicants.
The program is run in 10 week sessions. Lesson times are determined individually.
If you are interested in joining this program or would like to volunteer to help, contact us at HHHdressage@gmail.com or call us at 740-694-5150.